Jhpiego, an affiliate of John Hopkins university is a global leader in improving healthcare services for women and their families, in collaboration with some of its partners, save the children International (SCI), Pediatric Association of Nigeria (PAN), Nigerian Society of Neonatal Medicine (NISONM), Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics of Nigeria (SOGON) and National Association of Nigerian Nurses and Midwives (NANNM), will be implementing a USAID funded global cooperative agreement called the Maternal and Child Survival Program (MCSP).
The program’s goal is to contribute significantly to ending preventable maternal and child deaths (EPMCD) in Nigeria. The five year project which started in October 2014 will end in September 2019 and will be implemented in Kogi and Ebonyi States of Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Translator (English to Hausa)
Employment Type: Contract
- Jhpiego, through STAR Nigeria, is conducting an implementation research study to assess the feasibility and acceptance of blood and oral fluid Hepatitis C self-test kits in Nasarawa state.
- Jhpiego is seeking an experienced Translator (English to Hausa) to oversee translation of study scripts in Nasarawa for a period of 1 – 2 months.
- The translator will provide high-quality translation of all research materials from the original English language to Hausa language in a simple and concise manner while maintaining the original meaning of the English text.
- Read all study materials (instruments, interview guide, transcripts etc.) that has been written in English to understand contextual meaning prior to translation
- Integrate all corrections into the translated materials based on feedbacks
- Ensure quick turnaround of all translated materials while maintaining quality of the contents
- Submit by deadline all relevant materials including translated scripts, glossary of terms (if applicable) etc.
- An education in Hausa Language
- Three or more years of experience translating English Scripts into Hausa Language
- Able to read in both English and Hausa languages fluently
- Should preferably be a native Hausa language speaker.
- A good understanding of Nasarawa culture, traditions, and context.
- Experience in translation and interpretation of English phrases, terms and expressions in context (avoiding direct Hausa translations out of context)
Deadline: 3rd March, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their updated CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
- CV and Cover Letter as a single word document
- Candidates that do not comply with the application instruction will be disqualified.
- We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if a suitable candidate is found.
- Only shortlisted candidates will receive an invitation for an interview
- Any successful candidate will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
- There will be travel requirements and opportunities both within Nigeria.
- JHU is an Equal Opportunity Employer