Nigerian Exchange Group (NGX Group) is a leading financial market infrastructure provider in Africa, connecting Nigeria, Africa and the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Company Secretary / Compliance Officer
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Job type: Full-time
About the Job
- The Company Secretary / Compliance Officer should be a legal professional with industry experience and a strong background in compliance with a strong personality, proven managerial skills, and the ability to work as a team player to support the organisation.
- The individual will be required to have a thorough understanding of the capital market, NGX’s overall mission and strategy, as well as a strong legal or financial background, including stellar academic credentials and in-depth managerial experience.
- We are seeking an exceptional individual to work as a Compliance Officer within the Group Company Secretariat/Compliance Department as well as provide support to the Group Company Secretary to serve the Board.
- Responsible for developing, implementing, and administering statutory policies and procedures to ensure that The Group and its subsidiaries are in compliance with all relevant laws and regulations, and standards applicable to its operations.
- Work with Heads of Departments, Management, and Board Committees to ensure that the Group and Its subsidiaries achieve consistently high levels of compliance with all relevant laws and regulations as well as industry best practices.
- Responsible for regulatory compliance and compliance reviews; maintain good working relations with regulatory agencies.
- Act as an independent review and evaluation body to ensure that compliance issues/concerns within the organisation are being appropriately evaluated, investigated, and resolved.
- Identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability; develop/implement corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues, and provide general guidance on how to avoid or deal with similar situations in the future.
- Implement appropriate compliance reporting to the Group Company Secretary/Head of Compliance, Management, and Board Committees.
- Develop an annual compliance work plan, among other goals, to review the compliance of the Group of companies to the core values, strategy, and legal framework of the organisation and to identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk.
- Institute and maintain an effective compliance communication program which includes education and training from time to time for internal and external stakeholders.
- Reviewing NGX’s governance framework against global best practices, advising the Company Secretary on suggested changes to the framework, and ensuring the framework and supporting policies and procedures are well documented and up-to-date.
- Supporting the Board and Board Committees to ensure the Board efficiently performs its oversight activities.
- Assisting with Board development processes including Board evaluation, induction, and training.
- Organising meetings of members of The Organisation in compliance with all applicable legal and regulatory provisions.
- Communicating Board decisions to employees and other stakeholders as appropriate.
- Providing company secretarial services to The Organisation and its subsidiaries, including scheduling meetings, proactively managing the agenda, taking minutes, following up on action items, and reporting on matters arising.
- Dealing with Board correspondence.
To successfully deliver the above goals, the right candidate must have:
- HND / Bachelor’s Degree in Law or other relevant discipline
- Membership of Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrator or such other relevant professional qualification/certification will be an advantage.
- SEC registered Sponsored Individual will be an added advantage.
- Circa 5-8 years’ experience, preferably gained asCompliance/company secretarial function of a listed company, top-tier capital market or financial industry operator, or Compliance/company secretarial practice in a top-tier law or professional services firm.
- Transformative mindset, visionary and goal oriented, team player, enthusiasm to acquire and share knowledge, self-disciplined, and self-starter.
Desired Competencies and Skill Requirements:
- Knowledge of securities and finance markets and experience working directly with regulatory agencies (such as SEC, CBN).
- Ability to work with business units to establish, maintain and continuously improve Compliance capabilities.
- Strong understanding of relevant laws such as ISA 2007, SEC Rules, NGX Rules and CAMA, etc.
- Thorough knowledge of Compliance principles and practices.
- Leadership skills.
- Demonstrated professional maturity and poise; ability to employ discretion in sensitive situations.
- Demonstrated familiarity and experience with the major laws, rules, and regulations affecting the business of NGX Group and subsidiaries.
- Ability to work well with a variety of constituencies; comfortable influencing executive management and Board to desirable outcomes.
- Excellent time management and multi-tasking abilities.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Resourceful and proactive working style.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, strict attention to detail.
- Ability to own complex initiatives.
- Superior project management skills.
- Conflict management skills.
- Proven track record of strong performance against set deliverables.
- Ability to generate trust and respect from staff and external stakeholders.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send an updated Resume to: email@example.com using “NGX Group Recruitment – Company Secretary / Compliance Officer” as the subject of the email