The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Officer
Location: Yola, Adamawa State
Duration: 5 months
Recruitment Type: STS- National (6-months renewable contract)
- Provide technical guidance to micro and small-scale processors at household level on processing of legumes and cereals and utilization.
- Conduct training for women on small ruminant (Goat) rearing including close supervision to ensure optimal animal health and efficient feed management.
- Participate in training of trainer’s workshops and community level demonstrations for households on the development, processing, and utilization of diverse and nutrient dense crops products.
- Undertake Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) campaigns and counselling in Adamawa State particularly in the seven-activity intervention LGAs of Yola South, Fufore, Demsa, Guyuk, Gombi, Song and Hong to reduce malnutrition among farming households.
- Work with nutrition liaison support staff in the seven activity LGAs to support implementation of nutrition interventions, including homestead farming.
- Promote the preparation, utilization and consumption of diverse and nutrient dense crops and promote them among smallholder farmers.
- Work with non-governmental organizations and community-based organizations to disseminate technologies on legumes processing and utilization of different location specific crops.
- Work with Nutrition Focal Person (Adamawa state) to promote WASH-Nutrition related activities and create linkages with community-based organizations, other USAID partners and women groups to disseminate WASH messages and practices.
- Assist in planning, implementing, and monitoring of state activities on food and nutrition and contribute to drafting reports.
- Perform any other job-related task as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- B.Sc / HND in nutrition, Health Food science Technology, animal science or related field with a minimum of five (5) years’ experience performing similar or related role in a wellstructured organization.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have excellent understanding of issues related to food and nutrition in the relevant states.
- Have experience working with communities to improve small ruminant and livestock management.
- Have ability to work under minimal supervision and with tight deadlines.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team-oriented multicultural environment.
- Have ability to deliver accurate and timely reports.
- Have ability to travel extensively within the relevant state and work long hours.
- Have ability to communicate fluently in one or more of northern Nigeria’s major languages is an advantage.
Deadline: 29th June, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applications must include Covering Letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, Curriculum Vitae, Names and Addresses of three Professional Referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
- The application should be addressed to the Head of Human Resources.
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women.
- While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.