RMB Private Bank is a division of FirstRand Bank Limited, a fully integrated financial services group in South Africa, distinguished by our traditional values and innovative ideas. We have adapted investment banking solutions to suit your personal financial needs and this, together with an entrepreneurial approach, attracts like-minded, discerning clients. One of our key focus areas is Wealth and Legacy Management. Based on an in-depth understanding of your aspirations and needs, we create solid financial plans that help you to enjoy, manage, protect and grow your wealth for future generations.
Our ability to deliver on our objectives is directly attributable to our people, and our search for top talent is a priority. In return, we provide a challenging, fast paced environment with the opportunity for growth and development. RMB Private Bank offers a range of services including Portfolio Management, Trust and Fiduciary Services, Wealth Management and Transactional Banking for the discerning client to leave a legacy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Legal Officer
Employment Type: Full-time
About the Job
- The Legal Officer will support the General Counsel in the end-to-end legal responsibilities of RMB Nigeria, including ensuring the legal compliance of the bank to all statutes and laws impacting the bank (excluding KYC, and AML legislation), advising on and drafting legal agreements on behalf of the bank and optimally positioning the bank within the Nigerian financial sector from a legal perspective.
- In addition to this, also assist in ensuring transactional compliance with the legislation within the credit mandate in order to protect the Bank’s legal risk through the negotiation and implementation of deals after credit approval.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Providing legal input into the origination of transactions where required
- Assisting in finalising term sheets
- Assisting in structuring transactions where it is required
- Liaising with transactors and clients and instructing lawyers to draft the relevant legal documents
- Negotiating terms with the client, their lawyer and/or other banks as applicable
- Reviewing finance documents internally for credit and legal compliance
- Signing off transactions at the bank’s Deal Conclusion Forum (DCF) level
- Overseeing and coordinating the execution process of legal documents
- Managing the legal conditions precedent (CPs) process for financial close
- Reviewing, drafting and advising on simple and medium complexity legal documentation of all types, with particular emphasis on Banking and Finance documentation
- Providing legal opinions and advice as requested to other teams/departments within RMBN and its affiliates/subsidiaries
- Conducting research on emerging legislation and analysing its application to and impact on RMBN’s activities
- Providing support to the Company Secretary on company secretarial services and governance
- Matters in relation to RMBN, its affiliates and subsidiaries
- Maintaining relationships with external counsel as and when needed
- Minimising the exposure of RMBN and its affiliates and subsidiaries to legal liabilities
- Ensuring compliance of RMBN, its affiliates and subsidiaries with all applicable laws and providing sound legal advice on legal obligations and implications on RMBN and its affiliates and subsidiaries’ business conduct, transactions and policies
- Drafting and/or reviewing routine legal agreements including guarantees
Qualifications and Experience
- A Law Degree (minimum of 2:2) and strong academic record with emphasis on an ongoing interest in commercial and financial matters e.g. contract law, company law, markets & regulation, public policy, taxation, etc.
- Admitted to the Nigerian Bar with at least ten years
- Law firm experience in corporate and commercial transactions and litigation; or
- Experience within a legal function in a company or financial institution
- Admission to the Nigerian Bar is a minimum requirement
- Knowledge of company law and statutory compliance.
- Knowledge of the workings of the banking sector, with particular emphasis on corporate loans and corporate finance and understanding of regulatory policy.
- Practical experience in the banking industry gained either in legal practice or in a banking environment
- Knowledge of commercial issues, especially contract & company law
- Knowledge of company secretarial requirements
- General legal experience in other fields/litigation work does not meet the above minimum skills requirement
- Computer literate (MS Office/e-mail)
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong interpersonal & communication skills
- Listening, analysis and debating skills
- Keep abreast of all legal developments i.e. legislation, case law, industry practice amongst law firms, internal risk
- Must be able to build strong partnerships with business and corporate staff and communicate to various audiences in clear and understandable language
- Strong knowledge & understanding of how a bank operates, both generally and within a credit framework
- Understanding of banking laws, CAMA, and CBN regulations.
- Post-graduate studies / qualifications in banking, finance / financial markets
- Corporate finance qualification/experience
- Ability to assess risks
Human Relations Profile:
- Strong character & integrity paramount
- A high degree of self-confidence; pleasant personality; well presented Well organised / good time management skills / disciplined
- Self-starter able to work with minimal supervision
- Team oriented
- Flexible when necessary
- Able to deal with criticism
- Ability to work under pressure
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online