Family Health International (FHI 360) is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Technical Officer, Nutrition
Requisition ID: 2022202366
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Full time
Supervisor: Nutrition Coordinator
- Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance.
- These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity.
- FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and responded to the humanitarian crisis in the NE for five years.
- In anticipation of a new project, and in support of ongoing ones, FHI360 seeks an experienced Senior Technical Officer – Nutrition to support our response to the humanitarian crisis in NE Nigeria.
- The Senior Technical Officer, Nutrition provides technical and programmatic leadership for the Nutrition Sector to ensure prompt high-quality delivery of Nutrition outputs and outcomes as part of the general Objectives of Nutrition Sector of SURE-SN Project in the Northeast, Borno.
- Responsibilities include Providing technical oversight for development, designing, planning, implementation, and capacity-building of SURE-SN Nutrition Sector Interventions
- Providing desk and on-site technical oversight as appropriate; Participate in proposal writing development and other writing on assigned area activities.
- To take overall responsibility for the implementation of community management of acute malnutrition (CMAM) and Maternal Infant and Young Child Nutrition (MIYCN) related activities in line with FHI360 policies and programme proposals intended to bring positive changes in the lives of the target population.
- Ensuring the design and planning of Nutrition activities is made in such a way to guarantee the efficient and effective integration of all subsectors of Nutrition programme, conducting assessment of current CMAM interventions and practices in the target population, community mobilization, training, and promotion of best CMAM and IYCF practices, thereby delivering the objectives of the nutrition interventions.
Duties and Responsibilities
With the support and under the supervision of Nutrition Coordinator, the Senior Technical Officer – Nutrition will have the following key responsibilities:
Program Planning and Implementation:
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership/support/facilitation in designing and implementation of nutrition intervention in all the implementation sites
- Provide technical input regarding design, implementation, data analysis, report writing and developing research and policy briefs of research projects.
- Provide management support and oversight on planning and execution of nutrition activities at different levels, monitoring, and evaluation, including leading the development of project technical reports on nutrition
- Lead in the review of the planned nutrition activities and propose /plan new appropriate activity in Nutrition sector based on the actual problems of the community
- Design appropriate implementation modalities and program approach to strengthening sustainability factors
- Prepare technical and supportive supervision plan based on the need assessment for staff under her/his supervision and implement and report on time.
- Maintain regular communication and conduct field visits to support district teams in performing regular tasks by providing technical knowledge and guidance.
- Capacity building of Health and Nutrition Team based identified gaps for Staff and government health workers
- With the support of the Nutrition Coordinator take full responsibility of risk management by analyzing malnutrition trends and data, anticipating, identifying, and mitigating risk factors.
- Support the Nutrition Coordinator to ensure efficient project management by ensuring value for money.
- Support M&E team in compilation and analysis of Nutrition M&E data and in developing M&E reports.
- Ensure timely requisition and distribution of key nutrition commodities such as RUTF and therapeutic milk.
- Lead the validation of Nutrition assessment and survey and develop plan of action to address identified gaps.
- Advocate for the inclusion of nutrition indicators in multi-sectorial assessments through engagement with various sectors such as protection, WASH, Health and Education.
- He/She will support other nutrition program activities not limited to Community Based Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) and IYCF.
- Prepare and submit periodic quality progress reports on Nutrition sector from all operation sites (monthly, quarterly, bi-annually, annually and donor reports);
- Collect and document all progress in the implementation of activities (at activity, output, and impact level) and maintain project data, record, and documents.
- Collect and document appropriate data using Database on time and prepare and share report at State level within time specified.
- Support Nutrition Surveys, case studies and share findings.
- Prepare detailed budget and support Nutrition sector budget plan and implementation in line with FHI360 Finance policies on time.
- Responsible for ensuring proper, efficient, and timely utilization of allocated sector’s budget, including purchased materials.
- Participate and give appropriate input for Nutrition Sector in Budget Revision time.
- Properly manage, administer, and guide staff under her/his supervision in line with the FHI360 policies and program implementation
- Provide technical guidance and supportive supervision and mentoring staffs under his/her supervision to build their capacity to perform their assigned roles and responsibilities.
- Support the nutrition coordinator to develop work plans, SOP, budgets, program reports, document findings and lessons learned and prepare success stories in specific technical areas
- Prepare and conduct training for both FHI360 staff and government health workers to build their capacities in program implementation, M&E and sustainability.
- Liaise with nutrition team to identify technical support needs of projects and staff, and jointly agree on specific and time-bound support needs of projects and staff in relevant technical areas
- Participate in the recruitment process as occasion demands
Networking and Integration:
- Establish strong linkage and collaboration with Northeast Nutrition cluster, Ministry of Health, Primary Health Care Board and LGA health authorities in the implementation of IYCF Nutrition activities.
- Actively participate in the Nutrition cluster activities including the CMAM, IYCF and AIMTWG work groups for which FHI 360 are members.
- Represent FHI 360 at all relevant technical external task forces, working groups, seminars and where possible forge alliances to influence key actors around advocacy objectives.
Monitoring & Evaluation (M & E):
- Facilitate and participate in quarterly based monitoring sessions in the implementation of the Nutrition Sector interventions
- Co-lead nutrition surveys such as SQUEAC, KAP and SMART survey, assessments, including preparation and submission of survey reports.
- Conduct, document and present annual learning reviews.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and the employee will also perform other tasks as required and responsible for reporting and communication of progress and achievement of the specific assigned task.
- Inform Nutrition Coordinator of any professional problems encountered.
Qualifications and Requirements
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Nutrition, Nursing, MBBS, Public Health or other Medical related field with minimum of 10 years post graduate experience. A Master’s degree in related field will be an added advantage.
- Experience of implementing nutrition-related programs including monitoring and evaluation
- Demonstrated ability to foster partnerships with community and/or Government agencies/organizations and groups
- Strong experience in Networking, Report writing skills
- Strong group facilitation and training skills
- Knowledge of community development, empowerment, and mentoring approaches
- Proven capacity to supervise, train and coach staff and working with community members
- Ability and willingness to frequently travel and stay at the field
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues across the organization developing effective working relationships to deliver outstanding results for children.
- Good oral & written communication skills of both English and local languages will be an advantage.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties.
- This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
- FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
- FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
Leave a Reply