iMMAP is an international nongovernmental organisation that provides information management services to humanitarian and development organizations. Through information management, we help our partners target assistance to the world’s most vulnerable populations. Our core philosophy is that better data leads to better decisions and that better decisions lead to better outcomes. iMMAP’s critical support to information value chains helps to solve operational and strategic challenges of our partners in both emergency and development contexts by enabling evidence-based decision-making for better outcomes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: GIS Developer (National Position)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Type: Full Time
Status: National Employee
Contract Start: 15 April 2023
Contract End: 30 September 2023
- The incumbent will support and effectively contribute to the initiation, planning, design, development, and implementation of web GIS applications, spatial and statistical data ingestion and analysis workflows, the automation of existing processes, and the establishment and improvement of a spatial data infrastructure using ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise.
- The primary focus lies with the development of tools using Python and built-in tools from the ArcGIS technology stack, and secondly with the integration of non-Esri tools such as QGIS, MS Power BI, VertiGIS Studio, and R into the SDI.
- The incumbent is tasked to develop, review and improve business processes related to the support of humanitarian actors’ IM/GIS capacity through the Humanitarian Information Analysis Unit (HIAU), which is primarily based in Maiduguri, and includes a permanent IM Officer in Yola and an IM Officer roaming between Maiduguri and Damaturu. The incumbent is further required to support the implementation of regular and ad hoc capacity-building sessions on IM and GIS for humanitarian partners in the BAY states that are delivered by the Capacity Building unit. The incumbent will be expected to develop practical, suitable, and innovative solutions for the GIS-related challenges faced by the humanitarian sector in its response to the crisis, and will also be involved in the development of data analysis tasks/projects with existing and new partners and donors.
- The incumbent will be based in Maiduguri and will report to the Technical Advisor.
Description of Duties
- Support and drive the implementation of a Spatial Data Infrastructure to optimize and expand the IM and GIS support provided to partners and other stakeholders.
- Drive the implementation of workflows to automate existing business processes and add new standard information products for regular distribution to stakeholders.
- Support the engagement of the program staff with data suppliers and consumers to ensure the effective use of data and generation of information.
- Perform regular audits of the SDI for compliance with data protection regulations, using a Data Protection Impact Assessment (DPIA).
- Support the installation, configuration and maintenance of the SDI platform, developing the database, and making sure that the overall system is operational and meets the operational needs of the HIAU and external stakeholders.
- Prepare thematic web GIS maps and apps to effectively show the humanitarian response context and activities integrated with related factors and data analysis.
- Data Management: Design, develop and manage databases, spreadsheets, and other data tools; understand, document, and ensure the quality of high-value humanitarian data for accuracy, consistency, and comparability; consolidate operational information on a regular schedule to support analysis.
- Coordination and control of all GIS functionalities on the SDI platform with iMMAP staff and via the Technical Advisor with external stakeholders.
- Provide direction and GIS guidance to iMMAP staff and external users of the SDI platform.
- Ensure the successful implementation of the standard working procedures for information management and GIS within the SDI environment.
- Assist the Technical Advisor and Capacity Building unit with the development of GIS training packages and conducting different levels of capacity bulding.
- Ability to travel to other duty stations for any information management and GIS support.
- Assist the Technical Advisor in developing the work plan and highlight technical requirements and suggestions to improve the HIAU internal processes and the capacity building activities.
- Complete additional tasks assigned by the Technical Advisor and Country Representative.
- Graduate of an Institute or University in the field of Information Technology, Information Management, or any other relevant field
- Strong knowledge of GIS systems and supporting software (ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcGIS Desktop, and Pro are required), and experience in the development and management of spatial data layers, map, and image services.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in humanitarian information management, GIS, relational database management/administration, data visualization, or data analysis is required.
- In-depth knowledge of relational databases, GIS software, and computer networks, and good knowledge of related hardware and peripheral equipment.
- Experienced in GIS process automation using Modelbuilder, Data Interop/FME, and Python scripting
- Possess advanced skills in PostgreSQL database design and server management.
- Advanced knowledge of programming theory and relational database principles.
- At least 3 – 5 years of working experience with GIS on-field operational level and in a multi-cultural environment.
- Understanding data QA/QC processes for information management are essential.
- Ability to work under pressure and long hours at different locations.
- Flexible and adaptable to a fluid work environment.
- Self-reliant and able to work independently.
Deadline: 30th March, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Leave a Reply