It is a unique opportunity for young leaders from anywhere on the African continent to further their education in South Africa. While completing postgraduate study in any field of your choice, our leadership development programme will empower you to solve some of Africa’s most difficult challenges. You will begin a life-changing leadership journey, and find a community of people who share your passion for the positive transformation of Africa.
- Tuition costs for any one-year Honours degree or two-year Masters degree in any field at a recognised South African institution of higher education.
- The financial support covers tuition and registration fees, and provides allowances for study materials, research, and medical aid, as well as accommodation and meals.
- The scholarship includes a compulsory Leadership Development Programme of either one year or two years depending on your course. The programme is primarily delivered through a series of week-long in-person workshops with your Class of Mandela Rhodes Scholars.
- The programme gives you access to a mentorship programme, and a community of young leaders from across the African continent.
How are Mandela Rhodes Scholars selected?
We look for young leaders who aspire to the principles below and who have demonstrated the potential to live them out.
Do you aspire to be a visionary leader who has moral authority? Do you see leadership as more than just personal ambition – as a way to pursue the advancement of equality and freedom, human rights and human dignity? And do you want to guide and inspire others to reach their full potential?
Do you believe that reconciliation – combined with reparation – is the key to harnessing an imperfect past to develop a more just world? And are you prepared to start the process by looking at your own internal landscape?
Do you have excellent academic results but believe that your education should not only benefit you but make a difference for others? And do you agree that intellectual excellence must be accompanied by character and a rounded personality?
Do you want to see Africa take its rightful place as an equal and competitive presence in the global world? Have you demonstrated individual effort, innovation and creativity to this end?
– Financial support
The Mandela Rhodes Scholarship offers comprehensive funding for the core costs associated with your studies. It covers tuition for a one-year Honours degree or a two-year Masters degree in any field at a recognised South African institution of higher education. This includes tuition and registration fees, allowances for study materials, research, and medical aid, accommodation and meals, personal allowance and economy class travel to and from your home country to your South African university at the beginning and end of your degree. You will also receive a personal allowance.
- Tuition and registration fees as set by your university or institution
- A study materials allowance as set by the MRF
- Accommodation and meal allowances as set by the MRF
- A medical aid allowance as set by the MRF
- A personal allowance as set by the MRF
- Research and conferencing grants can be made available on request
- Economy-class flights for international scholars from their home countries to their institutions at the start and end of their studies
The Application process
How do I apply?
You must apply online. You can log onto our applications platform to access your application and upload your documents and essays. The three people who write your recommendation letters must also log onto the platform to upload their letters directly. You must give them plenty of time to write their letters, sign onto the platform, and upload them. Your application cannot be submitted without the letters and will not be considered.
For more information: Visit Here
Leave a Reply