Graduate Safety Advisor Recruitment at the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO)
The International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is a British charity that supports the safety of aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
We are seeking an experienced individual to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Safety Advisor
- Successful applicants will be able to build and maintain a diverse network of contacts, articulate complex political and socio-economic analysis from an objective, neutral perspective, and produce and disseminate written products and deliver briefings on a time-sensitive basis.
- In addition, the applicant will be able to identify trends and patterns within quantitative datasets of security incidents, linking this information to broader political and socio-economic developments.
- The applicant must use his or her experience as a functional practitioner within insecure/post-conflict environments and his or her knowledge of the humanitarian community to ensure that analytical products are tailored to offer practical guidance and operational support.
- The applicant must also be an appropriate representative of INSO among a diverse and important audience of members and a wide network of contacts, including UN agencies, international donors and organizations, local communities and their leaders.
- Safety Advisor positions are highly rewarding roles, offering a unique opportunity to work in a close-knit team giving security analysis and advice that is not only some of the best of its kind, but that is also vital to the efforts of the NGO community to deliver aid and assistance to the thousands of people who need it. Successful candidates will be outgoing and resilient, with the ability to analyse complex security issues and contexts, give sound practical safety and security advice, communicate to an excellent standard of English both verbally and in writing, and above all else share INSO’s commitment to humanitarian principles.
- In addition to providing potentially life-saving advice and analysis, our Safety Advisor must consistently represent INSO’s mandate of neutrality and independence, while upholding humanitarian principles and actively promoting the improvement of operating practices, to allow access to be retained and expanded, and vital services to be delivered safely and promptly.
- Establish and maintain an active information network, which includes NGOs, the UN, military forces, and other national and international security actors to obtain credible and relevant safety information.
- Participate to humanitarian coordination meetings and provide access and security enabling information
- Provide NGOs with timely and credible security information and contextual analysis of the local security situation through: daily incident alerts, reports, weekly incident lists and bi-weekly analytical reports.
- Facilitate and lead regional NGO community security roundtables.
- Assist NGOs in developing their own security management capacities by reviewing policy documents, conducting site-security surveys, and assisting in crisis evacuation planning.
- Manage a small office team, including supervision national staff and oversight of local logistics and administration.
- Effectively represent, promote and protect INSO’s mandate of independence, impartiality and neutrality.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken).
- Graduate level education or equivalent work experience.
- Experience in insecure/conflict-affected environments.
- Strong writing and proven analytical abilities (proven written/published sample requested).
- Demonstrable understanding of humanitarian safety practices and principles and their application.
- Experience with humanitarian NGO security and/or project management.
- Minimum 1 recent year experience in Nigeria, ideally in an NGO safety role or equivalent and demonstrable understanding of the security dynamics and context.
- Employment history that reflects experience in both security and civilian fields.
- Local language skills.
Key Personal Competencies:
- A good listener
- An effective communicator
- Excellent analyst
- Team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- A people manager
Terms & Conditions
- T&C will depend on the status of the selected candidate (expatriate or national staff) as it is an opened recruitment to both:
- International candidates: 12-month contract with expected start date of January 30, 2018, €4550 per month salary, 4 calendar days’ annual leave per month and 7 days of R&R every two months, global medical coverage, AD&D coverage.
- Nigerian nationals: 12-month contract with expected start date of January 30, 2018. Salary in local currency (NGN) according to INSO Nigeria salary grid (grade 2, with seniority step depending on the individual’s relevant experience). 24 working days of annual leave, medical coverage for the individual and a maximum of 5 dependents.
Deadline: 31st December, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to send the following Documents below to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation in applying and what you hope to bring to INSO (1-page maximum).
- Up to date CV (2-page maximum).
- Contact information for 3 referees (preferably, work-related and from recent previous line managers).
- One relevant and substantive writing sample in English that demonstrates your analytical and reporting ability (10-page maximum).
- Please do not send any additional information (certificates, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB if possible.
- Candidates ensure to reference “INSO Safety Advisor – Maiduguri” in the subject line of your email. A failure to reference your mail as indicated above, your application may result to not being processed due to the numerous of incoming mails.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted after the closing date.