New Job Openings at African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Environmental and Social Safeguards Officer
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50066099 / 50060406 / 50071216
- The Senior Vice-Presidency (SNVP) is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve its strategic objective and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results.
- The SNVP will provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions.
- The SNVP will lead senior management discussions, decision-making processes and the implementation of key Board and Management decisions.â€‹
The Hiring Department
- Located within the SVNP Complex, the Safeguards and Compliance Department (SNSC) is responsible for mainstreaming environmental and social development considerations into Bank-financed operations in the public and private sectors through the implementation of the Integrated Safeguard System (ISS).
- The Department’s main tasks is to improve the quality-at-entry (QAE) of Bank operations, including Country Strategy Papers and project-specific interventions (projects, ESW, etc.) as well as during implementation, with a particular emphasis on enhancing developmental effectiveness through application of environmental, social and climate safeguards procedures and tools at various stages of the project cycle.
- The Safeguards and Compliance Department’s mission is to ensure proper application of the Integrated Safeguards System (ISS) and its associated procedures, guidelines and tools, in order to enhance environmental, social and climate sustainability into the Bank’s operations.
- The Senior Environmental Officer works under the supervision and overall direction of the Director of the Department of Environmental and Social Safeguards, in close collaboration with the Environmental and Social Safeguards and Compliance Officers at the regional platform level.
- The incumbent will be responsible for implementing the Bank’s environmental and social policies, procedures and guidelines in the operations of the institution in both the private and public sectors, while respecting the Integrated Safeguards System (ISS).
Duties and Responsibilities
Mainstreaming of environmental concerns:
- Provide E&S support to the Bank’s projects and programmes for both private and public sectors
- Address environmental and social issues in various Bank operations during the identification, preparation, appraisal, supervision and project completion stages;
- Design and/or improve the design of features/ components within Bank operations in order to ensure the effective implementation of environmental and social measures throughout the duration of the operations;
- Assign E&S Categorization and screen for climate change and GHG emissions for projects (public and private).
- Mainstream climate adaptation measures and mitigation measures into the Bank’s operations as required;
- Review TORs for feasibility studies (ESIA, SESA and RAP) to ensure adequate coverage of all pertinent issues required by the Bank’s environmental and social assessment procedures (ESAP);
- Review Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA), Strategic Environmental and Social Assessment (SESA), Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP), Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF) and Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS) and prepare where applicable summaries for disclosure on the Bank’s website;
- Prepare the environmental and social technical sections required in the Project Concept Notes (PCNs) and the Project Appraisal Reports (PAR) and any other project related report as required.
- Develop recommendations to enhance environmental and social benefits and corrective action plans to mitigate environmental and social risks in Bank operations.
- Liaise with other lenders to ensure consistency in the mainstreaming of the E&S modalities, documentation, and other aspects of projects and programmes and the harmonization of E&S standards for all lenders.
Policy and Compliance with environmental and social requirements:
- Provide policy and operational guidance to Task Managers on environmental issues as a means of strengthening the environmental and social performance of Bank operations.
- Monitor compliance of operations with the Bank’s environmental and social safeguards, policies, and guidelines consistent with the Bank’s Integrated Safeguards System (ISS);
- Ensure the quality of safeguard documents, such as Strategic Environmental and Social Assessment, Environmental and Social Impact Assessments, Environmental and Social Management Plans, Resettlement Action Plans;
- Prepare, where applicable, action plans to bring projects and programmes to compliance with the Bank’s environmental and social requirements such as Resettlement Action Plans.
Capacity building and Knowledge Management:
- Identify, assess, and monitor overall training needs of clients and task managers;
- Develop and deliver training sessions for Bank staff and their counterparts in RMCs,
- Participate in, and contribute to internal and external training and conferences on environment and social safeguards as well as to other activities pertaining to advocacy, dissemination and knowledge development.
- Develop and/or contribute to the development of innovative knowledge products on environmental sustainability and/or E&S performance of Bank financed projects and programmes.
- Undertake any other task as assigned by the Director of the Environment and Social Safeguards Department.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Have at least a Master’s degree in Environmental Studies, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Policy or a related discipline. A PhD and / or Chartered Environmentalist qualification is an additional asset;
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant professional experience in areas related to environmental and natural resource management, environmental assessment, environmental monitoring and environmental stewardship;
- Have good knowledge and experience in developing and managing the implementation of Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIAs), Environmental and Social Management Plans (ESMP), Environmental Management Framework the social aspects of development projects (health and safety aspects, involuntary resettlement and gender issues, etc.), monitoring and evaluation conformity;
- Have a proven knowledge and practice of ISS, including the safeguards policies, procedures and practices of development agencies of key bilateral and multilateral partners in regional member countries.
- Have a good knowledge and experience of multi-criteria assessments, stakeholder engagement and consultation, community participation; have analytical skills to assess institutional capacity and to design / review practical arrangements for implementing complex projects, particularly in Africa;
- Be results oriented, able to work in a team, a meticulous analyst with a sense of detail, a persuasive communicator and an excellent copywriter;
- Listening to clients – providing effective services and solutions to staff beyond presenting past challenges and challenges and gaining respect through the depth of demonstrated expertise, effectively managing various clients and country situations;
- Innovation and Change – Constantly seek more efficient and practical methods for the delivery of services and products as well as departmental process management and propose new ways to improve the quality and relevance of products and services;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment and to develop effective working relationships with clients and colleagues;
- Have excellent technical and analytical skills, with a proven track record in operational and political work on environmental and social issues;
- Have a good knowledge of the assessment, preparation and / or management of the implementation of the Bank’s environmental and social safeguards on the development of major infrastructures in Africa;
- Have a good knowledge of the environmental and social issues facing Regional Member Countries (RMCs);
- Have solid practical experience in the evaluation, integration and monitoring of social development concerns at the level of Bank operations;
- Be an accredited member of recognized professional organizations such as IEMA, CIWEM, RGS, etc.
- Be able to communicate effectively (written and oral) in French or English, preferably with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Master the use of MS Office software and have a good knowledge of SAP.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Job Title: Senior Disbursement Assistant
Position N°: 50064454
- The Vice Presidency for Finance oversees the financial management of the Bank Group.
- This encompasses the Bank Group’s treasury activities including borrowings from the capital markets and investment activities; controllership functions including financial reporting and loan administration; strategic resource mobilization and the strengthening of the non-statutory financial resources and instruments; the overall asset/liability management for the Bank Group.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The Financial Control Department of the African Development Bank (The Bank) is responsible for accounting for the financial consequences of the Bank Group’s transactions and decisions, and for the preparation, fair presentation and overall integrity of the internal financial reports and published financial statements.
- The department is also responsible for loan administration and accounting and related fiduciary responsibilities, including disbursement of funds to projects and programs financed by the Bank Group. Lastly, the department provides decision support and expertise in the development and implementation of financial control policies, operational and financial strategies and related information systems.
- The primary objective of the Loan Disbursement Division is to ensure compliance with key fiduciary related articles in the Agreement Establishing the African Development Bank and Fund. Ensure that adequate controls are maintained around the disbursement of Bank Group financed project.
- Under the general supervision of the Disbursement Officer, the Disbursement Assistant is primarily responsible for determination of the completeness of borrowers’ requests in accordance with the Bank’s policies and procedures, Verification of documentation and processing of disbursements or special commitment requests.
- The Incumbent provides support to negotiations, mission preparation, and disbursement seminars and ensure timely disbursements of proceeds from Bank Group and co-financed projects in accordance with relevant loan and protocol agreements and Bank Group policies.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Disbursement Assistant functions will include the following:
Disbursement Transactions Processing:
- Analyze and determine the appropriateness of borrowers’ requests for disbursements and the supporting documentation.
- Determine whether they should be approved, reduced or rejected in accordance with Bank’s policies and procedures. This requires the identification of irregularities and non-compliance with Bank procedures and policies, as well as highlighting circumstances for further investigation where the Bank may be exposed to financial risk .
- Review and recommend changes to disbursement systems, policies and procedures to promote timeliness, accuracy and efficiency in processing while maintaining appropriate internal controls.
- Draft clear and concise correspondence to borrowers of operational staff on disbursement-related issues.
- Process special commitment amendments and prepare amendment letters.
- Respond to questions from Task Team Leaders, borrowers, commercial banks, and suppliers on payments, balances, and application status.
- Cooperate with concerned departments and stakeholders to resolve disbursement issues promptly.
- Monitor borrowers’ utilization of special account funds, ensuring that the funds are properly accounted for and used in accordance with Bank procedures.
- Participate in loan disbursement missions to verify use of resources and resolve disbursement issues.
- Contribute to improving the efficiency of disbursement operations by ensuring that records and reports are properly maintained and updated at all times.
- Participate in technical discussions and loan negotiations to ensure that disbursement arrangements are compliant with Bank Group disbursement policies.
- Provide input on audit reviews, and monitor borrower compliance with audit findings, as requested by the Disbursement Officer.
- Provide input into the training of Executing Agencies, Projects, and Bank Staff.
- Participate in the design of materials for disbursement seminars.
- Respond to questions regarding disbursement procedures.
- Answer questions from Task Team Leaders, borrowers, commercial banks, and suppliers on payments, balances, and application status.
- Participate in departmental/divisional task forces.
- Identify issues relating to disbursement policies, procedures and guidelines and propose actions or enhancements.
- Undertake ad-hoc assignments at the discretion of the Country Manager or Division Manager.
- Participate in the review of project documents such as Appraisal Reports, Country Strategy Papers, and Project Completion Reports and provide input to supervisors.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in Accounting or Business Administration and preferably membership of an internationally recognized professional accounting body.
- Have a minimum of five (6) years of direct relevant experience preferably in accounting in a large organization.
- Audit experience would be an advantage.
- Familiarity with disbursement policies, guidelines and procedures of multilateral development institutions
- Good understanding of basic general accounting concepts and principles, and their application.
- Analytical, systematic, strong numerical skills, attention to details.
- Ability to plan and coordinate schedules in order to meet tight deadlines
- Good understanding of internal control concepts and business aptitude for figures and attention to detail
- Ability to adopt new policies, systems and processes in a timely fashion.
- Good Client Orientation, Achieving Results and Problem Solving, Communication and Knowledge Sharing, Innovation and Change.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French preferably with a good working knowledge of the other language. Ability to communicate (Oral) in Portuguese would be an advantage.
- Proficient in the use of standard MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project Knowledge of SAP would be an advantage.
Deadline: 12th July, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online