Afrique Conseil – Our client, West African Gas Pipeline Authority (WAGPA), was established by the State Parties (Benin, Ghana, Nigeria, Togo), as part of the implementation of the West Africa Gas Pipeline Project (WAGP Project), by the WAGP Treaty signed in Dakar on 31 January 2003. WAGPA is a Public Establishment of an international nature with legal personality and financial autonomy. It has its headquarters in Abuja, Nigeria. In addition to regulatory powers, WAGPA performs the functions of representing states, assisting and coordinating the activities of the WAGP.
They are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director-General
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Context and Rationale
- West African Gas Pipeline Authority (WAGPA) is headed by a Director General (DG) appointed by the Committee of Ministers (COM) on the recommendation of the Board of Governors (BOG) for a term of five (05) years renewable
- The recruitment of the DG of WAGPA follows a procedure of calling for candidates, in the four State Parties, of persons qualified by training or experience to perform the said functions.
- As the term in office of the current DG of WAGPA is due to expire, the BOG has selected the firm Afrique Conseil from Bénin to conduct the recruitment procedure for the new DG who is due to take up office on 1st February, 2021
- It is in this context that the present call for applications is launched by the Afrique Conseil firm simultaneously in the four countries whose nationals will participate in the recruitment process.
- The DG of WAGPA exercises his / her functions under the dual authority of the BOG and the COM
- He / She is the legal representative of WAGPA and the decisions he / she takes within the limits of the powers conferred on him / her by the Treaty and the WAGP Regulations are binding on the State Parties
In addition to the powers and functions of regulation, state representation, assistance and coordination provided form Article 2(2)of the WAGP Treaty, the DG has the following main responsibilities:
- Prepare each year the annual budget of WAGPA for which he / she is the authorising officer after its adoption by the BOG;
- Report on WAGPA’s activities to the Committee of Ministers;
- Maintain and develop collaborative relations with the State Parties, in particular with the National Agencies and the Stakeholders’ Forum, etc.;
- Identify, negotiate and consolidate key partnerships with regional authorities and development partners, and create and maintain dialogue with all organizations relevant to its field of activities, in order to make WAGPA visible, dynamic and sustainable in the pursuit of its objectives;
- Define and implement the strategies and operational systems, and ensure the development of adequate procedures for the proper functioning of WAGPA;
- Prepare the meetings of the Board of Governors and the Committee of Ministers and implement the decisions of these two bodies;
- Identifying, piloting, managing and monitoring concrete actions undertaken in order to achieve WAGPA’s operational objectives;
- Represent WAGPA in bilateral and multilateral cooperation institutions, particularly within the (Framework of Technical and Financial Partners);
- Supervise and control the management of material, financial and human resources of WAGPA;
- Supervise and coordinate the activities of the departments.
Profile of Candidates
Candidates for the position of DG of WAGPA must have:
- At least a Master’s of Engineering / Science Degrees or Management Science disciplines such as Economics, Business Management, Oil and Gas Management, etc
- At least 15 years of professional experience in one of the above mentioned disciplines, including 5 years in an operational management function or in a management or representative position
- Good knowledge of the geopolitics and geostrategy governing the activities of the hydrocarbon sector and the world trade in oil and gas;
- Leadership skills and proven management capacity and initiatives;
- Good experience in negotiating with multinationals, international organizations and technical and financial partners;
- Good communication skills and the ability to lead multidisciplinary team and work with partners;
- Good knowledge of computers, especially word processing tools (Power Point, Word, Excel, Windows);
- Perfect command of French or English and ability communicate (speak and write) in the other language shall be advantage;
- Experience in the management of oil and gas activities shall be an added advantage.
- Be a national of one of the State Parties: Benin, Ghana, Nigeria and Togo;
- Be not older than 55 years of age as at 1st February, 2021.
Deadline: Thursday 15th October, 2020 at 18 hours GMT.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications which must be in a sealed envelope with the following mention:
- On the front: “APPLICATION FILE DGWAGPA”,
- And on the back: the full address of the candidate.
The sealed envelope should be put in a second closed envelope, sealed and sent by express mail to the following address:
Societé Afrique Conseil: Avenue Van Vollen Haven – Carré
No. 163, face “Les Bagnoles”
ex-CABOMA Cotonou Boite Postale: 919 – Cotonou Republique du Bénin
Numero d’adressage 634/ (Telepone: 00229 90921753)
Note: There should be Evidence of Stamp of Post Office.
The Application Form should include:
- A Motivated Letter of Application addressed to the Chairman of the Board of Governors of WAGPA;
- A signed updated detailed Curriculum Vitae, specifying the date of birth of the candidate, the Certificates / Degrees (year and place obtained), duration (months and / or years) of experience, indicating the names and addresses of three (03) reference persons, and certified sincere by the candidate;
- A birth certificate or any other document in its place;
- An extract of police report less than three months old at the application deadline;
- A medical certificate less than three months old at the application deadline certifying that the candidate physically fit and healthy for the position;
- A certified copy of Certificates titles, Degrees, attestations and professional qualifications;
- Any document attesting to the candidate’s professional experience;
- Two Passport photos;
- A copy of the certificate of nationality or any other document proving his nationality.