The Youth Network for Community & Sustainable Development is a youth-led movement catalyzing social change by engaging young people on critical sexual and reproductive issues affecting them and amplifying their voices to speak for Human Rights, through targeted advocacy to key players, capacity building and development, communications, and media engagements, partnerships, and programme implementation. We also work on a broad range of issues such as Gender, Governance, and Environment, however, our priority over the years have been on Sexual and Reproductive Health & Rights
Since its inception, YNCSD has been catalyzing efforts of young people towards ending Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting (FGM/C) and gender-based violence, through effective programming that transforms social norms underpinning these practices as well as promoting reproductive health and rights for women and girls. Part of our activities is to ensure that every pregnancy is wanted and women and girls have access to reproductive health services and are given the opportunity to exercise full agency over their bodies. We pride ourselves to be a leading youth-led organization delivering quality programmes and interventions for our donors and partners based in Nigeria and globally.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Officer – Key Population and Sexual Minorities
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Contract
Project: Linking and Learning to Improve Access to Sexual and Reproductive Products and Information and Services (LINKS Project)
Terms of Reference – Project Officer (KP/SM)
Reporting to – Senior Programme Associate
Program Management and Implementation:
- Coordinate and implement the Links Project in close collaboration with the Senior Programme Associate
- Lead in the coordination of the project in line with the LGBTQI+ and Sex Worker eco system in Nigeria
- In coordination with the Programme Management and Advocacy teams, develop an implementation strategy to guide project development and management based on the program’s theory of change, and in consultation with communities of LGBTQI persons and Sex Workers.
- In coordination with the program department, and informed by community consultations, establish and manage relationships with activists from the LGBTQI, and Sex Worker and communities.
- Contribute to knowledge management by recording and documenting results and lessons learned.
- Ensure that project activities are implemented in line with workplan and project resources are well utilized.
- Work with Senior Programme Associate to ensure financial and administrative protocols are complied with
- Lead on technical reporting to the donors and other stakeholders.
Capacity Strengthening and Movement Building:
- In collaboration with the Advocacy Unit, identify and design initiatives that can respond to the capacity needs of LGBTIQ+, and Sex Workers community-led organizations and activists
- Design Organizational Capacity Assessment Tools targeted at LGBTIQ+ and Sex Worker Organizations and Activists aimed at understanding gaps in SRH product and service provision
- Lead in the delivery of capacity training for LBQ and Sex Worker communities on SRH product use and uptake
- Regularly engage with wider YNCSD team to improve knowledge sharing, coordination and to identify opportunities to support LGBTIQ+ and Sex Worker movement building.
- Represent YNCSD in relevant meetings and convenings particularly within the Key Population Eco-system in Nigeria and at international platforms
- Support the Business Development Team in the design of new KP related projects and interventions
- Participate actively in regional Safe Abortion Movements and platforms.
Skills and Experiences
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3 – 5 years experience working with LGBTQI, Sex Workers communities in Nigeria
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of the context and organizing specifically within the sex worker movement and movement of persons who use drugs (PWUD) in Nigeria.
- Extensive knowledge of SRHR concepts and global policy frameworks including abortion concepts and ecosystem in Africa
- Demonstrated experience in project management, particularly experience in managing a multi-community initiative
- Ability to make an effective contribution to teamwork, and contribute to broader organizational goals and strategies
- Ability to organize, identify opportunities, and coordinate initiatives
- Flexible and adaptable approach and able to respond to shifting priorities and a rapidly evolving context
- Must be based in Abuja
- Must demonstrate emotional intelligence
- Must be willing to write extensively including policy briefs and project reports.
- Previous experience working in/with diverse communities and movements
- Experience convening and facilitating meetings or processes that bring diverse communities and voices together for decision-making or to advance shared goals.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of project management and any grantmaking experience
- Previous experience in SRH advocacy and service provision interventions for KPs in Nigeria
- We are interested in applicants who are familiar with or are part of the KP communities.
N70,000 – N120,000 monthly (based on experience).
Deadline: 15th April, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV (1 page) and Cover Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Note: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.